Leading blockchain accelerator and a subsidiary of Overstock.com – Medici Ventures, has pulled off a digital securities token transfer representing its equity ownership in Portsmouth, New Hampshire-based Chainstone Labs.
The digital security was issued by Chainstone Labs to Medici Ventures using the Ravencoin blockchain.
“It is natural that since we focus on securities tokens that we have a digital security for the equity in our own company. The ease of moving digital securities has the potential to change the way the global economy works. Medici Ventures has the operational expertise to help us pursue this market,” said Fenton, who is also on the board of both Medici Ventures and tZERO, another Medici Ventures portfolio company. “Ravencoin is an ideal protocol and chain to use for this security token. The aim of Ravencoin is to do one thing and do it well: help users issue tokens and digital assets securely. Tokens, particularly securities tokens, are a promising area for blockchain technology.”
“Chainstone Labs shares the same vision of Medici Ventures: blockchain is the future and using it to make transactions faster, more secure, and completely transparent will change the world,” said Jonathan Johnson, president of Medici Ventures. “Our mission is to use blockchain to democratize capital, eliminate the middleman, and re-humanize commerce. We believe our equity purchase in Chainstone Labs is a huge step forward in that mission as Chainstone will help change the landscape of the global economy.”
The transaction was broadcast in real-time to show the simplicity of transferring equity using tokens as digital securities. Ravencoin is an open-source, public blockchain built to help users create and manage tokens and digital assets such as securities.
A video of the transaction can be viewed here:
The Chainstone digital security token is one of the first equity tokens issued using a public blockchain and is believed to be the first major security token issued on the Ravencoin network. Ravencoin was announced on October 31, 2017 and launched as a network on January 3, 2018. Ravencoin has been able to support the issuance of tokens since November 5, 2018. Medici Ventures is an active supporter of Ravencoin, an open-source project dedicated to the creation and peer-to-peer transfer of assets.
Chainstone Labs is a startup focused on digital securities and decentralized asset management. The company, founded by CEO Bruce Fenton, owns Atlantic Financial, a full-service investment firm and the Satoshi Roundtable, a leading invitation-only gathering of industry members.
Medici Ventures purchased a 29 percent stake in Chainstone Labs for $3.6 million. This equity purchase was first disclosed in the Q3 2018 earnings reporting of Medici Ventures’ parent company Overstock.com, Inc. on November 9, 2018. The equity token is not offered to the public.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), partner at ICO services collective CryptoAsset Design Group ($500m+ and 50+ ICOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur.
He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups
and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and
startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat
Ad honorem – Honorary Ph.d – Chair Professor of Blockchain at
China’s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead
Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business
Automation 4.0 programme. Chevalier (Knight) – Ordre des Arts et des
Technologies at Crypto Chain University and on advisory board of Advisory Board Member of International Decentralized Association Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain (IDABC) as well as Advisory Board Member at U.S. Blockchain Association.
Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+
innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME
Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for
the UK government’s Innovate UK division. Kastelein has spoken
(keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich
His network is global and extensive. He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe
He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French.
A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart,
Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to
TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to
marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian
expatriate living around the world
In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a
series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’
travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and
He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures Uses Ravencoin Blockchain for Equity Purchase in Chainstone Labs – Completes $3.6 Million Securities Token Transfer – December 18, 2018
- Despite Market Downturn – eToro Survey Reveals Strong Interest in Cryptoasset Education – December 18, 2018
- BlockIMMO brings Blockchain Technology Platform to Tokenize Fractional Real Estate Investment – December 17, 2018
- Algorand Appoints Dual Ph.D. Rock Star Pablo Azar as Chief Economist – December 17, 2018
- Dascoin – Anatomy of Multilevel Marketing Crypto Scam – Coinmarketcap Zero – December 17, 2018
- Dutch Blockchain Company Tymlez Group Starts Trading on Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) – December 13, 2018
- DNAtix Releases Live Demo of its Blockchain based Genetic Infrastructure Platform – December 11, 2018
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain – December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 – December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund – December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution – December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans – December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global – December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City – November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board – November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements – November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars – November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric – October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers – October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens – October 26, 2018
View All Articles
Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypt…
Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX
Does Juniper’s E-Commerce Forecast Herald Bo…
Binance, Medici Ventures Set up in Bermuda as Terr…
tZERO Unveils Prototype for Upcoming Security Toke…