Mercedes-Benz Cars and Icertis, have teamed up for a strategic partnership for consistent documentation of contracts in the supply chain as Daimler requires direct suppliers to adhere to strict control standards and contractual obligations with regard to working conditions, human rights, environmental protection, safety, business ethics and compliance within the supply chain.
“Blockchain technology has the potential to fundamentally revolutionize our procurement processes and could affect nearly the entire value chain. Global supply chains are becoming increasingly complex. With our Blockchain prototype, we are in the first step testing one of the diverse possible applications with the aim of increasing transparency beyond our direct suppliers,” said Wilko Stark, Member of the Divisional Board of Management Mercedes-Benz Cars.
Mercedes-Benz Cars and a number of Icertis experts have successfully developed and programmed the prototype and acceptance by suppliers and partners is now being tested in a pilot project, and feedback is obtained. The Blockchain prototype allows a transparent mapping and understanding of this transmission across the entire supply chain. Should one of the sub-suppliers deviate from the contractual obligations, this becomes visible in the Blockchain, similar to a secure accounting system.
Blockchain: Technology with potential
“The transmission of contracts to each member of the supply chain is the prerequisite of cooperation with our suppliers, especially in terms of sustainability and ethical conduct. The Blockchain prototype opens up completely new ways to make purchasing processes simpler and safer”, said Sabine Angermann, Head of Purchasing and Supplier Quality for Raw Materials and Strategy at Mercedes-Benz Cars.
The intuitive and user-friendly operation of the Blockchain service platform is significant for the success of the project. Only then the company can help its suppliers to easily get started with the new technology, and attract the necessary users. Consistently establishing Blockchain technology with all suppliers in the respective supply chain is a fundamental requirement for the achievement of the goal: close cooperation for more sustainability.
Another application is the traceability of components and raw materials. Complex supply chains can be disclosed, the origin of which can be traced across the partners involved. The effectiveness of a Blockchain depends on the quality of the data and the level of digitisation. For this purpose, Mercedes-Benz Cars will cooperate in partnership with its suppliers.
Daimler has already been using Blockchain technology in other domains. Since 2017 Daimler has been a member of Hyperledger, a project of the Linux Foundation for the development of technologies and applications based on Blockchain. In the very same year, Daimler AG and Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (LBBW) for the first time have jointly used Blockchain technology to execute a financial transaction: Through LBBW, Daimler launched a €100 million “ corporate Schuldschein” in parallel with the process that is required by regulatory authorities. The entire transaction was digitally carried out via Blockchain technology. Daimler is convinced that this technology offers even more potentials along the value chain.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), partner at ICO services collective CryptoAsset Design Group ($500m+ and 50+ ICOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur.
He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups
and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and
startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat
Ad honorem – Honorary Ph.d – Chair Professor of Blockchain at
China’s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead
Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business
Automation 4.0 programme. Chevalier (Knight) – Ordre des Arts et des
Technologies at Crypto Chain University and on advisory board of Advisory Board Member of International Decentralized Association Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain (IDABC) as well as Advisory Board Member at U.S. Blockchain Association.
Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+
innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME
Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for
the UK government’s Innovate UK division. Kastelein has spoken
(keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich
His network is global and extensive. He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe
He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French.
A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart,
Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to
TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to
marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian
expatriate living around the world
In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a
series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’
travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and
He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- Mercedes-Benz Cars Develops Blockchain-Prototype for Sustainable Supply Chains – February 26, 2019
- Open Source, Enterprise-Grade Blockchain Platform Insolar Launches Testnet – February 26, 2019
- IPC to Provide ICE Crypto Feeds to over 6000 Capital Market Participants – February 26, 2019
- Fetch.AI raises $6m in Successful 22 Second Token Sale On Binance Launchpad – February 25, 2019
- Next Generation Public Blockchain IOST to Launch Mainnet with 150+ Global Partner Network – February 25, 2019
- Industry Experts Weigh in on Upcoming Ethereum Constantinople and St. Petersburg Forks – February 25, 2019
- Singapore’s Tribe Accelerator Cuts deal with ConsenSys to Advance Blockchain Ecosystem – February 25, 2019
- Report: The State of Stablecoins 2019 Hype vs. Reality in the Race for Stable, Global, Digital Money – February 21, 2019
- Securitize and OTCXN Team Up to Deliver Non-Custodial End-to-End Digital Security Offering Service – February 20, 2019
- US FDA Looks to Blockchain Technology to Secure Drug Supply Chain – February 15, 2019
- Nexo Lending to Offer Crypto-Backed Loans with Blockport Exchange – February 12, 2019
- Chainalysis Secures $30M Investment Led by Accel to Pave Way for Next Wave of Cryptocurrency Growth – February 12, 2019
- EUIPO Launches Forum on Using Blockchain for Counterfeiting – February 12, 2019
- Singapore’s NodeSwap Teams up with NY’s NODE40 – February 12, 2019
- New Release: Oracle Adds New Features to their Enterprise Blockchain – February 12, 2019
- Fetch.AI joins the IoT Alliance With Bosch, Cisco and Others to Accelerate IoT – February 7, 2019
- Dr. Bernard Lietaer – Monetary Visionary, Futurist, Author, RIP – February 5, 2019
- Fetch.AI To Launch Token Sale on Binance Launchpad to Build Intelligent Machine-to-Machine Economy – February 1, 2019
- Philippines Introduces New Rules for ICOs, STOs and Cryptocurrencies – January 31, 2019
- Evernym Cuts Deal with Red Cross and other Nonprofits Who Will Work with their Self-Sovereign Digital ID Solution – January 30, 2019
View All Articles
Peter Gabriel Backs British Blockchain Startup Pro…
ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt M…
Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis C…
Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platf…
Subway Jumps on FoodLogiQ Supply Chain Pilot