Off the back of the G20 meeting that took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina, over the weekend, G20 leaders called for the taxation of cryptocurrency. A document jointly delivered by G20 leaders called for “a taxation system for cross-border electronic services”, with a final version of regulations expected to be in place by 2020, in line with Financial Action Task Force (FATF) standards.
The development of international standards to regulate new technologies, such as cryptocurrencies, is a necessary step for the cryptocurrency market to evolve. Without having regulatory oversight and a defined framework for taxation and reporting, there is no way larger entities will enter the space for fear of regulatory backlash. The potential hurdles caused by increased regulation are small in comparison to the benefits of mainstream adoption of distributed ledger technologies and cryptocurrencies.
Brent Jaciow, Head of Blockchain Affairs at music data tracking platform, Utopia Music, commented:“This is a huge step in the right direction for the industry. Providing regulatory oversight and a framework for how to think about owning, investing, and the taxation of the asset class allows larger entities to seriously evaluate the space. Without the exact knowledge of the above, these entities would remain on the sidelines. Much like global capital markets, there is nothing large corporations fear more than uncertainty, especially as it relates to legal status and taxation. Cryptocurrencies do not pose a risk to financial stability. While the cryptocurrency markets are currently valued at $130bn, this is a small amount in comparison to global stock and bond markets which are valued in the trillions of dollars.”
Robertas Višinskis, Founder of Mysterium Network, an open source, not-for-profit foundation focused on security and privacy, and the world’s first decentralized VPN blockchain project, also mentioned that a taxation on crypto could prove to be a positive step in the right direction “It is exciting to see that some of the most powerful countries in the world recognize not just the potential benefits of cryptocurrencies and new technologies, but also the importance of having international standards to regulate them.
This will be a challenge given the different ways some of the G20 member states have started to regulate crypto assets. China has tough regulation around cryptocurrencies, but welcomes investment in blockchain, whereas the UK is yet to release any laws or regulations surrounding cryptocurrencies. In order for common standards to be established and universal regulation to work, the G20 member states are going to have to come to a compromise. For example, regulators around the world are still divided with regards to the tax treatment of tokens, so this may continue to be a challenge.
However, overall, the G20 calling for the taxation of cryptocurrency is an important step in the widespread adoption of cryptocurrencies, and will continue to help the evolution of the market. Regulation will help to filter out bad players in the market, and build trust in blockchain and cryptocurrency projects.”
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Wieke Beenen
Writing has always been the red thread in my life. In the early 90’s I attended the Journalism program at the School for Journalism in Utrecht and later the History and Journalism program at the RUG in Groningen. I spent a number of years working in the Caribbean boating industry as a first mate on several charter boats as well as in the island media writing about culture, flora and fauna. After moving back to the Netherlands I started my own translation business in 2005. After a short detour teaching kids English at several high schools, I’m now back doing what I like best, writing and editing content for Blockchain News.
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency – December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team – December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform – November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX – November 27, 2018
- London Block Exchange and AlphaPoint Mined First Digital Pound Sterling Ever – November 27, 2018
- Swytch announces Launch of Secure AI-Powered Renewable Energy Platform on Blockchain – November 26, 2018
- All Star Team Announces WHIRL, a Socially Driven ‘Pay it Forward’ Crowdfunding Platform Built on the Blockchain – November 22, 2018
- A Review of this weeks Market Collapse, this was one of the Most Dramatic Daily Selloffs in The Entire Year. – November 21, 2018
- Blockchain New Foundation of Democracy? Blockchain Based Voting app VOATZ could Lead the Way – November 20, 2018
- Switcheo Network Launches First Exchange to Support both NEO and Ethereum blockchains. – November 20, 2018
- Datametrex and Nexalogy Environics develop Fake News Detection Filter – November 19, 2018
- Kinesis Money and Allocated Bullion Exchange seek to create a commercial blockchain venture with Jakarta Futures Exchange in Indonesia – November 16, 2018
- Transform Group CEO Michael Terpin Named one of the Most Respected ICO Advisors and Influencers – November 10, 2018
- WISeKey Announces Release of WISePhone, the First Ever Secure Android Blockchain Phone with Cryptocurrency Payment Capabilities – November 9, 2018
- WISeKey Announces WISfans, a Platform that Deters Counterfeiting of Branded Sports merchandise and Connects Clubs with their Fans – November 8, 2018
- Radiant Earth Foundation teams up with Blockchain software company ConsenSys to Make Geospatial Data More Accessible – November 8, 2018
- A Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed Against India Globalization Capital, Inc. by Gainey and McKenna & Egleston – November 7, 2018
- Blockchain used to empower African smallholder farmers to enter the global food market – November 6, 2018
- Blockchain Company Reveals a Powerful Fitness App Aiming to Reward Workouts with Tokens. – November 2, 2018
- WeedMD and Blockstrain launch Proprietary Genome Tracking Software to Protect Cannabis Genetics & Intellectual Property – October 25, 2018
View All Articles
VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68…