Distributed ledger technology (DLT) provider Digital Asset, has just announced that Blythe Masters, has requested to step down as CEO for personal reasons. AG Gangadhar, who joined the company’s Board of Directors in April, has been appointed the Board Chairman and will serve as the acting CEO until a permanent CEO is named. Masters, who has been the company’s CEO since 2015, will remain involved in the company as a board member, strategic advisor and shareholder.
“Digital Asset has evolved from an ambitious idea to a truly global software engineering firm. We are fortunate to have a deep bench of accomplished executives on the management team and Board, including AG, who have the requisite experience to take the company to the next level. Having come to know and trust AG as an advisor and Board member, I am convinced that he brings what’s needed to guide the company through its next phase.”
“Blythe has built an impressive foundation with incredible progress to date, helping the company emerge as an industry leader. I’m honoured to lead Digital Asset and work alongside the talented management team during this transition until a new CEO is appointed, at which point I will focus on my responsibilities to lead the Board.”
Mike Bodson, President and Chief Executive Officer of DTCC, said:
“On behalf of the Digital Asset Board, I would like to thank Blythe for her leadership and vision, which has propelled the company from a promising startup to a globally recognized leader in DLT. We are excited to have a world-renowned technologist like AG to help take the company forward.”
Gangadhar, known as AG, joined Digital Asset’s Board of Directors in April and has since been actively involved in the company’s engineering and product strategy. AG brings significant experience building foundational technology solutions at organizations that include Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Cruise (GM) and Uber. In addition, AG’s engineering background will help the company scale its technology and global operations to meet the growing demand for DLT solutions across financial services, healthcare, supply chain and other verticals.
Blythe Masters has had an extraordinary career and is best known as one of the creators of credit default swaps.
She was named chairwoman of the board of Santander Consumer USA on July 15, 2015 but quit that position in July of 2016 to switch to a new role at Santander as a senior adviser on blockchain. She also joined Santander’s international advisory board and became a director of Openbank, its online lender.
She is the former the head of global commodities at JPMorgan Chase & Co. She was named to this position in 2007 and left in 2014 after the commodities unit was acquired by Mercuria.
After the 2008 financial crisis, JPMorgan and Masters made ambitious efforts to increase the company’s presence in commodities in an environment where intense competition, new regulations, and relatively stable commodities prices were making the business less profitable for big banks.
While she was head of the commodities division, revenues doubled between 2006 and 2009 as she increased the unit’s reliance on client revenue over proprietary trading. She frequently represented the company and the industry in Washington on issues ranging from potential curbs on commodities trading to the financial regulatory overhaul.
In 2012, she took on the additional responsibility of running regulatory affairs for the firm’s corporate and investment bank. She was a member of JP Morgan Chase’s executive committee and corporate and investment bank leadership team.
Her responsibilities included structuring and distribution of credit derivative products and related credit risk management strategies, both for JP Morgan and its clients.
In February 2012, Masters became chairman of the Global Financial Markets Association (GFMA), which represents the common interests of the world’s leading financial and capital markets participants.
In February 2014, Masters was invited to join the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s Global Markets Advisory Committee. However, Masters withdrew from the advisory committee a day after her appointment was disclosed. Democratic lawmakers objected to her participation in the CFTC panel because of her role presiding over a unit accused of manipulating power markets.
She also chairs the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA), whose mission is to support a strong financial industry, job creation and economic growth while building trust and confidence in the financial markets.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), partner at ICO services collective CryptoAsset Design Group ($500m+ and 50+ ICOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur.
He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups
and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and
startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat
Ad honorem – Honorary Ph.d – Chair Professor of Blockchain at
China’s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead
Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business
Automation 4.0 programme. Chevalier (Knight) – Ordre des Arts et des
Technologies at Crypto Chain University and on advisory board of Advisory Board Member of International Decentralized Association Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain (IDABC) as well as Advisory Board Member at U.S. Blockchain Association.
Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+
innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME
Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for
the UK government’s Innovate UK division. Kastelein has spoken
(keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich
His network is global and extensive. He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe
He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French.
A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart,
Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to
TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to
marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian
expatriate living around the world
In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a
series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’
travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and
He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- Blythe Masters Resigns as CEO of Digital Asset – December 18, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures Uses Ravencoin Blockchain for Equity Purchase in Chainstone Labs – Completes $3.6 Million Securities Token Transfer – December 18, 2018
- Despite Market Downturn – eToro Survey Reveals Strong Interest in Cryptoasset Education – December 18, 2018
- BlockIMMO brings Blockchain Technology Platform to Tokenize Fractional Real Estate Investment – December 17, 2018
- Algorand Appoints Dual Ph.D. Rock Star Pablo Azar as Chief Economist – December 17, 2018
- Dascoin – Anatomy of Multilevel Marketing Crypto Scam – Coinmarketcap Zero – December 17, 2018
- Dutch Blockchain Company Tymlez Group Starts Trading on Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) – December 13, 2018
- DNAtix Releases Live Demo of its Blockchain based Genetic Infrastructure Platform – December 11, 2018
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain – December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 – December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund – December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution – December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans – December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global – December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City – November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board – November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements – November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars – November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric – October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers – October 26, 2018
View All Articles
Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets…
Bitfinex Teams up with Connamara for FIX Digital A…
Blythe Masters’ Digital Asset Holdings Relea…
Blockchain Maven Blythe Masters Takes on New Role …
Hyperledger Elects Leadership Positions and Gains …