Four leading global blockchain companies (EMURGO/Cardano), Fetch.AI, NEM and Ripple) have recently come together to establish an association representing blockchain originating organisations within Europe. With ‘Blockchain for Europe’, they hope to create a unified voice for the blockchain industry in Europe.
The reason behind the launch of the association is that the policy debate in Europe has been fragmented – with inconsistent information from those outside the blockchain sector challenging consensus within it.
The association’s goals are to foster the understanding within EU- and member state institutions on the true nature and potential of distributed ledger (DLT) and blockchain technology, and to ensure that upcoming regulation promotes and boosts innovation in Europe.
The members are organisations whose businesses originate from DLT and blockchain technology. They share a common vision of Europe becoming the global frontrunner in blockchain technology. Blockchain for Europe wants to help Europe to create smart regulation to shape the global agenda on blockchain.
The association hosted, alongside the four largest European Parliament groups, a very successful Blockchain for Europe Summit on 27 November. It brought together stakeholders from around the world, discussing issues such as governance, healthcare, transport, trade, identity, financial market infrastructure and tokens/cryptocurrencies. The debate showcased the potential benefits both for policy-makers and blockchain originating companies when they engage directly and transparently.
Dan Morgan, Head of Regulatory Relations, Europe, Ripple, said: “Ripple is delighted to be a founding member of Blockchain for Europe. This is a critical time for policymakers in Europe as they seek to develop the right regulatory framework to capture the benefits of both digital assets and blockchain technology.”
Kristof Van de Reck, President Europe and co-founder, NEM Foundation emphasised: “We are delighted to be one of the founding members of Blockchain for Europe. There is a lack of unbiased information especially when it comes to the open and decentralised application of the technology. By joining forces with different stakeholders that have blockchain at the core of their business, we aim to provide insights which are not tailored to the agenda of specific organisations or stakeholders.”
“This is an extraordinary opportunity to guide European policy in a field that will positively change the lives of so many people. The convergence of technologies like machine learning, AI and decentralised ledgers delivers the opportunity for a world where technology works more effectively for the benefit of us all”, commented Toby Simpson, CTO and co-founder, Fetch.AI.
Manmeet Singh, CIO, EMURGO, stated: “Within the scope of EMURGO’s mission to drive the adoption of Cardano globally, we are very keen to work with the European institutions in crafting the rules and regulations which will enable blockchain technology to thrive globally, thereby expanding the impact of our third generation blockchain Cardano, all under the leadership of EU governance.”
Blockchain for Europe looks forward to engage in conversations with policymakers, relevant industry players and academia. Together we hope to contribute to make Europe the frontrunner on blockchain technology.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Wieke Beenen
Writing has always been the red thread in my life. In the early 90’s I attended the Journalism program at the School for Journalism in Utrecht and later the History and Journalism program at the RUG in Groningen. I spent a number of years working in the Caribbean boating industry as a first mate on several charter boats as well as in the island media writing about culture, flora and fauna. After moving back to the Netherlands I started my own translation business in 2005. After a short detour teaching kids English at several high schools, I’m now back doing what I like best, writing and editing content for Blockchain News.
- “Blockchain for Europe” Launched by Leading Global Blockchain Companies – December 4, 2018
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency – December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team – December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform – November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX – November 27, 2018
- London Block Exchange and AlphaPoint Mined First Digital Pound Sterling Ever – November 27, 2018
- Swytch announces Launch of Secure AI-Powered Renewable Energy Platform on Blockchain – November 26, 2018
- All Star Team Announces WHIRL, a Socially Driven ‘Pay it Forward’ Crowdfunding Platform Built on the Blockchain – November 22, 2018
- A Review of this weeks Market Collapse, this was one of the Most Dramatic Daily Selloffs in The Entire Year. – November 21, 2018
- Blockchain New Foundation of Democracy? Blockchain Based Voting app VOATZ could Lead the Way – November 20, 2018
- Switcheo Network Launches First Exchange to Support both NEO and Ethereum blockchains. – November 20, 2018
- Datametrex and Nexalogy Environics develop Fake News Detection Filter – November 19, 2018
- Kinesis Money and Allocated Bullion Exchange seek to create a commercial blockchain venture with Jakarta Futures Exchange in Indonesia – November 16, 2018
- Transform Group CEO Michael Terpin Named one of the Most Respected ICO Advisors and Influencers – November 10, 2018
- WISeKey Announces Release of WISePhone, the First Ever Secure Android Blockchain Phone with Cryptocurrency Payment Capabilities – November 9, 2018
- WISeKey Announces WISfans, a Platform that Deters Counterfeiting of Branded Sports merchandise and Connects Clubs with their Fans – November 8, 2018
- Radiant Earth Foundation teams up with Blockchain software company ConsenSys to Make Geospatial Data More Accessible – November 8, 2018
- A Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed Against India Globalization Capital, Inc. by Gainey and McKenna & Egleston – November 7, 2018
- Blockchain used to empower African smallholder farmers to enter the global food market – November 6, 2018
- Blockchain Company Reveals a Powerful Fitness App Aiming to Reward Workouts with Tokens. – November 2, 2018
View All Articles
Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sp…
VNX Exchange announces Partnership with NEM, Bridg…
NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFi…
Ripple Unveils Ripple for Good, Plans $100 Million…
IP Gold Ditches Ethereum for NEM Blockchain