Block.one today announced Voice, a blockchain-based social media application designed with users of the platform in mind and to take on the fact that social media today is fundamentally broken and is in need of a complete overhaul.
“The truth is, current social media platforms are designed to use their users,” said Brendan Blumer, CEO of Block.one, who opened the company’s June 1 event at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. with the announcement of Voice. “Just look at the business model. Our content. Our data. Our attention. These are all incredibly valuable things. But right now, it’s the platform, not the user, that reaps the reward. By design, they run by auctioning our information to advertisers, pocketing the profit, and flooding our feeds with hidden agendas dictated by the highest bidder. Voice changes that.”
Voice, they say, will be a more transparent social media platform where the value of good content gets circulated right back into sustaining the community, not corporate bottom lines.
Voice will cultivate creation, sharing, discovery and promotion of content on social media platforms by real users, not bots and fake accounts. Through a truly self-sustaining economy of ideas, users will directly benefit from their ideas and engagement on the platform.
Block.one will launch the Voice platform on the EOS Public Blockchain.
Being built on the EOS Public Blockchain, which runs on the EOSIO protocol, means that interactions on Voice will be public, allows for transparency to be a core part of the experience. Everyone –the user, to contributor, the platform –plays by the same rules. No hidden algorithms, no invisible interests.
Block.one is uniquely positioned to lead this social media revolution. Its first product, EOSIO, was a global initiative to build a more scalable, secure and flexible blockchain framework that would enable people to reimagine, rebuild and restore trust in the systems enterprises and users rely on today. As a result, the multitude of networks built on the EOSIO software are consistently the most used public blockchain platforms in the world, accounting for upwards of 70% of all blockchain activity.
Block.one also announced substantial upgrades coming to the EOSIO protocol, Version 2. With its first iteration released a year ago, EOSIO 2 will introduce EOS-VM, an update to the software that allows the processing of smart contracts 12 times faster than EOSIO 1.0. EOS-VM is a WebAssembly Engine designed specifically for blockchain smart contracts.
With its Version 2 release, EOSIO is also now the first blockchain protocol to adopt WebAuthn authentication standards to bring greater security and usability to applications built on the EOSIO platform. These enhancements are in line with Block.one’s commitment to driving mass adoption of blockchain through applications developed for use in business and everyday life.
Security, privacy and ease-of-use will always be critical in Block.one’s projects. In line with these values, Block.one is implementing support for hardware security keys, such as the YubiKey from Yubico, built into EOSIO Version 2. Block.one and Yubico are working towards a common set of goals which encourage innovation and provide security and privacy at scale. Industry collaborations drive awareness for mainstream users to the benefits of a fundamentally secure infrastructure on a blockchain-based platform. This “earn as you learn” online course will educate users on the benefits and functionality of EOSIO.
The event drew approximately 300 attendees who included industry influencers, developers, investors, media and members of the community. Guests were also able to see demos of Voice and receive the first EOSIO Yubikeys at the event.
A video of the event can be found on the June 1 event page below.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), a partner at ICO services collective Token.Agency ($750m+ and 90+ ICOs and STOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur. He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat. Irish Tech News put him in the top 10 Token Architects in Europe.
Kastelein has an Ad Honorem – Honorary Ph.D. and is Chair Professor of Blockchain at China’s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business Automation 4.0 programme. Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+ innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for the UK government’s Innovate UK division.
Kastelein has spoken (keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, Prague, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara (2x), Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich.
He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe. He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com, and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French. A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart, Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian expatriate living around the world. In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’ travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and yachting publications. He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction – June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO – June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services – June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines – June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia – June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery – June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle – June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients – June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” – June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family – June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain – May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival – May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation – May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors – May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App – May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution – May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System – May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment – May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets – May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms – May 8, 2019
View All Articles
Also published on Medium.