BitPay, the largest global Blockchain payments provider, announced that it has processed more than $37 million in cryptocurrency-denominated donations since 2017. The latest major charity organization to open up its donation efforts to Blockchain payment is the Tony Hawk Foundation. This foundation is now joining other notable organizations such as the American National Red Cross, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Greenpeace, The San Francisco Foundation, Heifer International, The Water Project, Teach for America, United Way Innovation Fund and the Wikimedia Foundation.
Like the others, the Tony Hawk Foundation, which supports and empowers youth in low-income communities, is now accepting Bitcoin donations through BitPay. The foundation promotes healthy, active lifestyles, and international programs that enrich the lives of youth through skateboarding. It also provides advocacy training and funds for high-quality public skateparks in low-income areas throughout the United States.
Bitcoin opens up another road for people to send and receive money globally especially in places where traditional banking systems are not possible. The system also reduces high fees and increases payment transparency and efficiency.
“THF has long been recognized for our innovative approach to building communities, and we’re excited to offer this great new way to support our work,” said Miki Vuckovich, Executive Director of The Tony Hawk Foundation.
Much lower fees than charged by regular creditcards
In accepting Bitcoin donations through BitPay, the Tony Hawk Foundation and other charitable organizations can broaden its donor base while still being shielded from the price volatility that can occur with Bitcoin transactions. The customer makes the donation in Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash and BitPay verifies the funds and accepts the Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash on behalf of the organization. The organization has the option to take Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash or fiat currency or a split. If the organization chooses to take 100% fiat currency, the dollars are deposited into the organization’s bank account the next business day minus a 1% fee BitPay charges for the entire process. This fee is significantly less than the fees charged by credit cards allowing organizations to keep a larger percentage of overall donations. The organization is also protected from any Bitcoin price volatility.
p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Moreover, BitPay donations are treated as cash contributions, meaning donors will receive donation acknowledgements for tax purposes. Utilizing BitPay, donations can be accomplished from any computer or mobile device, and invoices can be generated by an email invoice – making the whole process a safe, secure, and seamless one for donors and the Foundation alike.
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Wieke Beenen
Writing has always been the red thread in my life. In the early 90’s I attended the Journalism program at the School for Journalism in Utrecht and later the History and Journalism program at the RUG in Groningen. I spent a number of years working in the Caribbean boating industry as a first mate on several charter boats as well as in the island media writing about culture, flora and fauna. After moving back to the Netherlands I started my own translation business in 2005. After a short detour teaching kids English at several high schools, I’m now back doing what I like best, writing and editing content for Blockchain News.
- BitPay Processed More Than $37 Million in Bitcoin Donations Since 2017 – June 24, 2019
- Generous Donation of $120,000 in Bitcoin by Anonymous Donor Very Well Received by Bitcoin.org – May 30, 2019
- ARK Launches the ARK Deployer, an Open Source Tool to Create a Blockchain in 3 Simple Steps – May 28, 2019
- Bitbond, a Global Lending Platform, Launches STO to Support Small Businesses in Asia with Loans – May 28, 2019
- Famous Swiss Watchmaker, Franck Muller Launches the World’s First Bitcoin Watch – May 25, 2019
- Facebook’s GlobalCoin Allegedly to be introduced in 2020 – May 24, 2019
- Mobile Carrier AT&T to Accept Online Payment Options in Cryptocurrency with BitPay – May 24, 2019
- Consumers Can Now Buy Bitcoin with Cash at 2,200 Coinstar Kiosks Located Inside Grocery Stores – May 24, 2019
- Visa Token Service Acquired by Eleven New Partners for Enhanced Consumer Confidence in the E-Commerce Space – May 23, 2019
- Voyager Announces Integration of Ledger Vault’s Asset Management System into its Crypto Trading Platform – May 22, 2019
- VeganNation Welcomes Game of Thrones Actor Jerome Flynn to its Advisory Board to Unite the Vegan Community – May 21, 2019
- Huobi Honors Bitcoin Pizza Day by Selling Bitcoin 50% off Market Price & Prime 3 Launch – May 18, 2019
- Dutch Multi City Blockchain Week to be First of its Kind with Events Hosted All Over the Country – May 17, 2019
- Partnership between Travala.com and Bitcoin.com Empowers Travelers to Save on Hotel Stays and Pay Directly with Leading Cryptocurrencies – May 16, 2019
- Q2 Holdings Announces the Launch of Q2 TrustView, a new Governance and Protection Technology for Banking and Lending – May 15, 2019
- First Security Token Blockchain called Polymesh announced by Polymath at Consensus New York 2019 – May 14, 2019
- Facebook lifts Crypto Ad Ban, One Year after the Social Media Giant Banned all Ads Related to Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies – May 9, 2019
- Blockchain Becoming the Revolutionary Technology Guaranteeing High level of Privacy and Security in Emerging Markets – May 8, 2019
- With Hoard, Video Game Developers Will Now Have the Ability to Seamlessly Integrate Games with Ethereum – May 1, 2019
- ShelterZoom Creates Contract and Transaction Management Platform Marking New Contract Evolution on Blockchain – April 19, 2019
View All Articles