Blockchain-focused venture capital group Algo Capital, is launching a $100 million USD fund to invest and manage significant capital in emerging disruptors building on the Algorand decentralized platform.
The Algorand protocol was created by Silvio Micali – MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award. Algo Capital invests in promising companies at all stages that are creating solutions on the decentralized Algorand platform, with an initial focus on companies building fintech applications.
Steve Kokinos, CEO of Algorand, said:
“The launch of the Algo Capital fund demonstrates the momentum of the technology that Silvio Micali has been developing for the past several years. Algo Capital and its supporting lab will accelerate opportunities for developers and businesses to realize the potential of Algorand’s protocol for a truly global and decentralized economy. We look forward to seeing first-hand the innovative projects that will develop out of the Algo Capital fund.”
Arul Murugan, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“The launch of Algo Capital signifies an invaluable opportunity to support and grow some of the world’s most promising startups that are building on the business blockchain of the future. We believe that value in the overall Algorand ecosystem will be captured by building real business and uses cases upon it, bringing hundreds of millions of users to wider blockchain adoption. Algo Capital looks forward to enabling and supporting entrepreneurs to leverage the unique benefits of the Algorand platform in innovative ways that will change the world.”
David Garcia, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“I have been active in this space for more than five years as an entrepreneur and investor. I’ve had the opportunity to learn what succeeds and what fails, beyond just the technology. We invested in Algorand due to the outstanding technical and business leadership of its team. We also recognized the massive potential and have joined forces with others to launch Algo Capital to capitalize on the potential of the Algorand ecosystem.”
Algo Capital is funded by external investors who recognize the potential Algorand has to serve as the platform to create a truly decentralized economy. Algorand, a first-of-its-kind blockchain and digital currency purpose-built for business, is also an investor in Algo Capital, letting Algo Capital independently manage the fund while serving as an integral part of the growth of the Algorand ecosystem. In order to further support companies with which the fund will engage, the leadership team will establish a blockchain laboratory to provide developers and entrepreneurs with tools and resources to help them build on the Algorand platform.
The fund is managed by a diverse leadership group of four founding partners with more than six decades of combined experience in venture capital, crypto investment, and blockchain technology, including Managing Partners David Garcia and Arul Murugan. Garcia previously served as Managing Director and Partner of Ripio, and as Partner at one of the first digital asset funds in Latin America. Murugan is the Founder and former CEO of Enrich, a global leader in oracle procurement software-as-a-service, and Managing Partner of blockchain-focused venture capital firm 11-11 Ventures.
Algorand last month announced the closure of a $62 million USD equity investment, a round in which Algo Capital was a lead investor. In addition, the company onboarded senior executives Steven Kokinos as CEO and W. Sean Ford as COO to help launch the revolutionary blockchain. Kokinos is the Founder of global, cloud-based unified communications platform Fuze. Ford was previously Senior Vice President and CMO at one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies LogMeIn, Inc. (NASDAQ:LOGM).
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
About Richard Kastelein
Founder and publisher of industry publication Blockchain News (EST 2015), partner at ICO services collective CryptoAsset Design Group ($500m+ and 50+ ICOs), director of education company Blockchain Partners (Oracle Partner) – Vancouver native Richard Kastelein is an award-winning publisher, innovation executive and entrepreneur.
He sits on the advisory boards of some two dozen Blockchain startups
and has written over 1500 articles on Blockchain technology and
startups at Blockchain News and has also published pioneering articles on ICOs in Harvard Business Review and Venturebeat
Ad honorem – Honorary Ph.d – Chair Professor of Blockchain at
China’s first Blockchain University in Nanchang at the Jiangxi Ahead
Institute of Software and Technology. In 2018 he was invited to and attended University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School for Business
Automation 4.0 programme. Chevalier (Knight) – Ordre des Arts et des
Technologies at Crypto Chain University and on advisory board of Advisory Board Member of International Decentralized Association Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain (IDABC) as well as Advisory Board Member at U.S. Blockchain Association.
Over a half a decade experience judging and rewarding some 1000+
innovation projects as an EU expert for the European Commission’s SME
Instrument programme as a startup assessor and as a startup judge for
the UK government’s Innovate UK division. Kastelein has spoken
(keynotes & panels) on Blockchain technology in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Barcelona, Beijing, Brussels, Bucharest, Dubai, Eindhoven, Gdansk, Groningen, the Hague, Helsinki, London (5x), Manchester, Minsk, Nairobi, Nanchang, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Shanghai, Singapore (3x), Tel Aviv, Utrecht, Venice, Visakhapatnam, Zwolle and Zurich
His network is global and extensive. He is a Canadian (Dutch/Irish/English/Métis) whose writing career has ranged from the Canadian Native Press (Arctic) to the Caribbean & Europe
He’s written occasionally for Harvard Business Review, Wired, Venturebeat, The Guardian and Virgin.com and his work and ideas have been translated into Dutch, Greek, Polish, German and French.
A journalist by trade, an entrepreneur and adventurer at heart,
Kastelein’s professional career has ranged from political publishing to
TV technology, boatbuilding to judging startups, skippering yachts to
marketing and more as he’s travelled for nearly 30 years as a Canadian
expatriate living around the world
In his 20s, he sailed around the world on small yachts and wrote a
series of travel articles called, ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Seas’
travelling by hitching rides on yachts (1989) in major travel and
He currently lives in Groningen, Netherlands where he’s raising three teenage daughters with his wife and sailing partner, Wieke Beenen.
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund – December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution – December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans – December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global – December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City – November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board – November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements – November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars – November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric – October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers – October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens – October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition – October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid – October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds – October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform – October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users – October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners – October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor – October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX – October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! – October 4, 2018
View All Articles
MIT Silvio Micali’s Algorand announces $62M …
Japan’s Gumi Games Founder Launches $30M Crypto Fu…
Berlin’s Neufund Blockchain Fundraising Plat…
New VC Fund Specializes in Cryptographic Assets an…