From one of the main Ethereum clients, to Polkadot to Substrate; Parity has become exceptional at developing successful open-source blockchain projects. Their latest effort Substrate provides a framework to easily create custom blockchains. Building on cutting-edge technologies like Web Assembly, Substrate also offers automated on-chain upgrades.
We were joined by Gavin Wood, who was previously co-founder and CTO of Ethereum and founded Parity. We talked about the early Ethereum days, how Parity got started, Substrate, Polkadot and his views on on-chain governance.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The genesis story of Ethereum
- Why Gavin prefers reasoning from first principles to reading
- How Parity shunned Silicon Valley principles to build an developer-driven company
- Why they decided to work on a scalable blockchain from scratch instead of improving Ethereum
- An overview of Substrate
- The relationship between Substrate and Polkadot
- How Substrate allows switching consensus in a live blockchain
- Why Ethereum’s governance process is centralized
- Polkadot and the case for on-chain governance
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Parity Technologies Website
- Polkadot Website
- E199 – Peter Czaban – Polkadot: The Internet of Blockchain Networks
- Substrate: A Rustic Vision for Polkadot by Gavin Wood at Web3 Summit 2018
- Substrate in a nutshell
- What is Substrate?
- How Polkadot tackles the biggest problems facing blockchain innovators
- Substrate testnet launched
- Epicenter episode from 2014 with Gavin Wood about Ethereum & Ether Sale
- Azure: Deploy enterprise-ready consortium blockchain networks that scale in just a few clicks
- Toptal: Simplify your hiring process & access the best blockchain talent – Get a $1,000 credit on your first hire
Support the show, consider donating:
- BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg (https://epicenter.tv/tipbtc)
- BCC: 1M4dvWxjL5N9WniNtatKtxW7RcGV73TQTd (http://epicenter.tv/tipbch)
- ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 (https://epicenter.tv/tipeth)
Watch or listen, Epicenter is available wherever you get your podcasts.
Epicenter is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain, Sébastien Couture, Meher Roy & Sunny Aggarwal.